The Dzongkhag Livestock Sector, Chhukha functions under the Administrative and Financial Control of the Dzongkhag Administration Chhukha. Technically the Sector is accountable to the Department of Livestock, Ministry of Agriculture and Forests, with research and development support in terms of inputs and backup services from the Regional Livestock Development Centre, Tsimasham and Central Units/Farms and other line agencies for discharging livestock development activities. The Sector implements the overall livestock development program and activities as per Annual Work Plan developed and endorsed through GT and DT consultations based on the Five Year plan policies and guidelines of the GNHC. The Dzongkhag Livestock Sector provides budgetary and technical backstopping and conducts monitoring and evaluation of livestock activities in the gewogs. The Sector has technical staffs attached in respective RNR Extension Centres to cater Livestock Extension Service and animal health delivery to the farmers in Eleven Gewogs.
Mission: To increase livestock productivity by ensuring prompt delivery of appropriate technologies and services through commodity based approach.
VISION: Attain food-security and self-sufficiency in livestock products through enhanced rural Livelihoods to alleviate poverty.
1. To strengthen QQT improvement, effective and efficient service delivery system
2. To enhance professional skills and knowledge of Extension Officers
3. To identify and promote cost efficient and sustainable development programs
4. To promote and strengthen bilateral and collaborative approach through engagement of relevant agencies and stakeholders through a clear partnership framework
5. To prioritize and focus on animal health, Production, Processing, diversification, value addition and marketing.
Major Livestock Sector Commodities Program for Chhukha
1. Animal Health Program
Both Curative (Treatment) and Prophylactic (vaccination, deworming etc)
National Dog Population Management
2. Dairy Production
3. Feed and Fodder development Program
4. Poultry Production
Both Egg Productions & Broiler Productions
5. Pig Productions
Both pork and piglets production
6. Honey Productions
7. Chevon Production
8. Fish Productions
Both warm water and wild fishery
9. Biogas plant construction